One of my favorite gluten free ingredients to cook with is Amaranth (rajagra/ rajgira.)
Amaranth is rich in antioxidants and an amazing source of plant based protein. The best benefit that I find it’s that it has got antiinflammatory properties which actually helps living with the allergic reactions that are caused because of Immunoglobulin E.
It tastes almost like wheat flour just somewhat on the nuttier side.
As I write this recipe today, it’s Navratri, an Indian festival of nine days where Maa Durga is worshipped. It’s also a feminine power festival. Women power… We rock, right!
Those who observe vrat aka fast during this nine days eat satvic diet. No grains, meat, or onion garlic is allowed. Only root vegetables are allowed but all fruits are allowed.
All this recipes that fall under navratri specials category are all edible during any vrat or fast you observe (most vrats).
So, let’s get going and see what all it takes to make this sumptuous, delicious dessert ‘Amaranth Halwa ‘. One of the best sweet trear recipes that is healthy, gluten free , grainfree and vegan.
- 1/2 cup – Amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup – Ghee
- 1/2 cup – Sugar
- 2 cups – Water
- 1/2 Tsp – cardamom powder
- Handful – sliced almonds
Let’s get cooking-
- In a pan take ghee and let it melt on medium heat. Any halwa should be cooked on medium heat.
- In another pan, boil the water. Remove from flame once it starts boiling.
- And to the hot ghee, add Amaranth flour and roast it until it changes color to light brown and Amaranth releases aroma.
- Add hot water to the Amaranth ghee mix and keep stirring it continuously until all the water gets absorbed by Amaranth.
- Add the cardamom powder to it and some chopped almonds and mix well.
- Now, add sugar and mix well.
- Cook until all the sugar is absorbed in the halwa
- Once the halwa leaves the edges of the pan, and leaves ghee, Amaranth halwa is ready to be served.
- In a bowl Remove the halwa and top it up with sliced almonds.
- Serve hot or chilled, anyways it tastes delicious!
“AMARANTH HALWA! HEALTHY TREAT FOR YOUR SWEET TOOTH“