Khaman is a native delicacy of India, from the state of Gujarat, Gujarati’s love it and can have it in any meal, but it is a breakfast delicacy. It is prepared using Gram flour / chickpea flour, that makes it Gluten Free & Vegan.
You can enjoy it by pairing it with tea or coffee or its amazing by itself with mango chutney or mint – coriander chutney.
Khaman is soft and juicy and i loved by all, its gastroparesis friendly as well.
The best part, Khaman is a steamed, so you can include in your diet without second thought!
A low calorie snack, packed with protein!
- 1 cup- gram flour/ chickpea flour
- 1 tsp- sugar
- 1 tsp- salt
- 1 3/4 tsp- lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp- baking soda
- 5-10- curry leaves(optional)
- 1 tbsp- refined oil
- 1 tsp- mustard seeds
- 2 1/2 cup- water
- 1 tsp- powdered coconut
- To make delicious Khaman, in a bowl, add gram flour, water, lemon juice and baking soda.
- Mix all the ingredients properly.
- Let the batter rest & allow it to ferment for 1-2 hours or till it doubles in quantity.
- Until the batter proofed, pour boiling water in a steamer and grease the dish with oil.
- Now pour the batter in the dish & steam it on low flame for 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes by inserting a knife in the Khaman, If the knife comes out clean, remove the khaman from heat.
- Allow it to cool, then cut it into pieces.
- Next, for the tempering, heat a pan with oil on medium flame. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves & sliced green chilli.
- To it add 1/2 cup of water and allow it to boil.
- Squeeze 1/2 lemon, add sugar and green coriander leaves to the mix once its boiling.
- Take the tempering off the heat and pour it on the dhokla.
- Serve it with green coriander chutney.
enjoy the protein packed Khaman that is healthy & full of flavour!