Poha is a breakfast delicacy especially in Gujarati & Maharashtrian cuisine. While Poha is nothing but flattened rice flakes; potatoes are added so as to make it more appetizing and filling. It’s one dish that is served for breakfast at restaurants & hotels, as well as at home!
I have so many memories as a kid of mom making poha for Sunday brekkie.
It’s quick & easy to make, gluten free, vegan, saturated fat free & refined sugar free delicacy loved by all. Poha is even a good source of 11 essential vitamins and minerals which includes iron.
- 2 cups – Poha (flattened rice; thick variety)
- Pinch – Asafoetida
- 1 tsp- Mustard Seeds
- 5-6- Curry Leaves (optional)
- 3-4- Green Chilies (chopped small)
- 1 medium- Onion (chopped)
- 1 large- Potato (3/4th boiled & diced)
- 1 tbsp- sugar (coconut or palm sugar; if you don’t eat refined sugar)
- 1/2 cup- halved Peanuts (Use Almonds / Cashews halved if allergic to peanuts)
- 3/4 tsp- Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup- Fresh finely chopped Coriander (cilantro)
- 1 Tbsp- Lemon Juice
- Soak the Poha for 5 mins in water, then drain in a colander.
- Heat oil in a pan, once hot add asafoetida & mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Now, add chopped onion and green chilies. Let Onions sweat until translucent.
- Once onions are cooked, add turmeric and curry leaves.
- Now add the potatoes & peanuts ( whatever nut suits you) & raisins.
- Sauté until potatoes are done.
- Add Poha and salt and sugar, mix well & cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice & coriander leaves.
- Serve with Tea or Coffee. Or just alone!