Turmeric Rice is a simple rice preparation ideal to eat during covid 19 times, turmeric is a proven immune-booster!
Well, I like cooking recipes that are simple yet delicious and healthy as well! It can be vegan if you avoid cheese and it’s gluten free.
Indian food is based on age-old ayurvedic principles , so there is a predominant use of spices in the recipes and they have medical properties that help in healing and preventing ailments.
Just like Turmeric is one of the most used spices in Indian cooking. Turmeric has many health benefits, with its known anti inflammatory nature due to curcumin present in it, it also helps lower the risk of brain diseases and helps prevent and fight viral infections as well.
Turmeric rice is one such recipe from mom’s kitchen that I cherish and cook quite often!
Let’s get cooking, let’s see what all we need:
- Cooked rice: 2 cups ( Cook and cool it before using & make sure rice
- Asophatidia: a pinch
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard seeds: 1 Tsp
- Turmeric: 1 Tsp
- Green Chillies: 3, Chopped finely
- Curry leaves: 5-6 (optional) If you can’t find it, all ok, it only enhances the aroma and flavor.
- Black Pepper: 1/2 Tsp
- Cilantro: A handful, chopped.
- 1 small onion: Finely chopped.
- Peanuts: 10-12 (optional)
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice: 1 Tsp
- Sugar: 1Tsp
- Cheese: Shredded 1/4 cup ( optional)
Those who are allergic to peanuts or vegan can avoid the peanuts or cheese and it will still taste as delicious.
Let’s get cooking, follow the steps and it’s easy:
- In a pan heat the ghee, once it’s hot, add mustard seeds, once they pop add asophatidia and curry leaves.
- Add the peanuts and green chillies and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and cook until it sweats, add turmeric to it. Mix well and cook.
- Now lower the heat and add the rice, salt, sugar, black pepper & lemon juice and mix well.
- Cook it covered for 5 minutes on low flame, then add the cheese and cilantro and remove it from heat.
- Serve it with Raita or plain yogurt.